The Hall of Nations' architectural form and structural resolution arose from a desire to symbolise the power of a young independent state, in the 25th year of India's independence. The structures are routinely studied in schools of architecture and engineering and by iterating through the course material, and as we research into the array of buildings where they stand in South Asian architectural history, we consider the buildings necessary in our empirical studies, as primary, source material for a number of researches that are only just beginning.
Several independent campaigns are being carried out online and in courts of law by preservationists, professionals, activists and the architects themselves, who may have a moral right over the works. Setting aside the polemics contained in their arguments, which Architexturez Imprints has reproduced elsewhere on the website, this dossier represents the letters of support received from International Organisations, Associations of Professionals and the Academia, and their reasoning for preserving the structures at Pragati Maidan.
Documents indicating the Ministry of Commerce's point of view are included, as well as significant goverment communications.
|M+ westKowloon||Museum of Modern Art|
|Centre Pompidou||National Gallery of Modern Art|
|International Union of Architects||Federation of Swiss Architects|
|Architects Regional Council Asia|
|Engineering Council of India||Consulting Engineers Association of India|
|Indian Association of Structural Engineers||Indian Institute of Architects|
|CARE School of Architecture||Sathyabama University|
|Chennai Academy of Architecture and Design||Kamala Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute|
|Sushant School of Art & Architecture||TU Berlin|
|ETH Zurich||National Institute of Design|
|Press note on 24th April, '17, date of demolition of the structure|
|Parliamentary Questions||Right to Information Requests|
|Council of Architecture Communication||Delhi Urban Arts Commission Minuets1|
- 1. Meeting that started the controversy
- Court Orders:
- Rohini, G. W.P.(C) 9702/2016, CM APPL. No. 38834/2016: Indian Institute Of Architects vs National Building Construction Corporation & Ors. In The High Court of New Delhi. New Delhi, 2017.
- Nath, Jayant. W.P.(C) 1146/2016 & CM. No.5060/2016 THE INDIAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS AND ORS versus UNION OF INDIA AND ORS. High Court of Delhi, 2016.
- Exhibition: Rewal, Raj, and Mahendra Raj. Presentation, Hall of Nations and Nehru Pavilion. Permanent Exhibition Complex, Delhi, 1971-72. New Delhi: Kiran Nader Museum of Art, 2017.
- Publication: Mehta, Vandini, Rohit Raj Mehndiratta, and Ariel Huber. "Hall of Nations and Halls of Industries, New Delhi, 1972." In The Structure – Works of Mahendra Raj, 152-179. University of Chicago Press, 2016.
- Petition by supporters of the Hall of Nations, Halls of Industries and the Nehru Pavilion