8 ideas on how to improve the quality of housing design in Britain; alongside research on public attitudes to architecture and whether it affects people's quality of life.
The Berkeley Group builds homes and neighbourhoods. We focus on creating beautiful, successful places. We work together with other people to tackle the shortage of good quality homes, and we make a lasting contribution to the landscape and to the communities we help create.
10 Facts about the Berkeley Group
- Over the last ten years, the Berkeley Group has delivered 48,376 new homes. It's equivalent to building enough to house the entire population of Cambridge.
- Between 2008 and 2012, 96% of Berkeley developments were on brownfield land.
- In the last ten years, Berkeley has created 436 acres of public open space — an area the size of 142 full size cricket pitches.
- Berkeley has been ranked Britain's most sustainable major housebuilder for the last 8 years in a row.
- Berkeley has provided 711,975 square foot of community facilities in the last decade and 2.8 million square foot of commercial space. To bring that alive, think of 237 new community halls and 946 shops on your local high street.
- In 2012, Berkeley supported over £2.6bn of economic activity in the UK; a 25% increase over the previous year. This contributed over £1bn to Britain's Gross Domestic Product.
- Berkeley supported 16,000 jobs in the UK during 2012, creating a total of 4.5 jobs for each home that we built.
- Over the last five years, Berkeley's activity has contributed almost £1bn to the Treasury, an average of £195m per year.
- By April 2015, we will invest £2 million to support young people and their communities through the Berkeley Foundation.
- Berkeley has never made a loss since we were first listed on the stock exchange in 1984.