A one-day conference exploring the relationships between art, science and society in the 1960s. 50 years on, key figures from this period will join speakers from the fields of art and cultural history, the history and philosophy of science, contemporary art, science, activism and popular culture to revisit one of the most intense periods of intellectual and cultural ferment.
- Introduction: Gustav Metzger’s Chemical Revolution, Elizabeth Fisher (+ video contributions from Gustav Metzger)
- In Anticipation of the Sixties, Jasia Reichardt
- The eclectic vanguardism of Studio International under Peter Townsend, 1966-75, Jonathan Benthall
- The History of BSSRS (title TBC), Alice Bell
- Panel Discussion: The Legacies of BSSRS, Jerry Ravetz, Robert M. Young, Jonathan Rosenhead. Chaired by Alice Bell
- Negotiating a history of socially-engaged and research-based practices (title TBC), Neal White
- Leonardo Journal at 50: Networking the communities of practice that bridge the arts and sciences, Roger Malina (video presentation)
- Panel Discussion: The Experimental Generation: Art, Light and Psychology of the Sixties, David Gale, Nigel Lesmoir-Gordon, chaired by Bronac Ferran.
- Drinks reception and PV of exhibition at Kettle’s Yard With video contributions from Gustav Metzger.