This year we are commemorating the 50th anniversary of Le Corbusier’s death and birth of Aarhus School of Architecture.
This year we are commemorating the 50th anniversary of Le Corbusier ́s death and the birth of the Aarhus School of Architecture. Museum Jorn, Silkeborg, and the Aarhus School of Architecture will celebrate this with an exhibition and an international conference, investigating Le Corbusier ́s and Asger Jorn’s oeuvre by exploring the capacity of art and architecture as a means of initiation.
The influence of Le Corbusier – the deus ex machina of 20th century architecture – on modern architecture worldwide is undeniable. But what do the Danish expe rimental artist and the notorious Swiss French architect have in common that would make such an investigation relevant? As a young art student in Paris, Jorn cooperated with Le Corbusier for the 1937 world exhibition. This short but crucial encounter led h im to writing a large number of texts, to practical cooperations with architects and even affected his paintings in the years to follow, which be subject to investigation here .
“1965“ is the title of the first, lecture - based section, which provides a general introduction to Le Corbusier ́s life and oeuvre. It will furthermore explain the intent of the conference and subsequently identify the focus areas of the following sessions.
The purpose of this conference is to instigate a discussion and to draw up perspectives for further research on the specific subject matters listed below. This call invites students and scholars of architecture and art history to contribute to the following three sections:
- Section A: Turnabout: Le Corbusier, Architect Artist in Postwar Europe
- Section B: Crossroads: Le Corbusier and Asger Jorn
- Section C: Transgressions: Le Corbusier in Danish Architecture and Urbanism
- Stanislaus von Moos, Universtität Zürich, CH.
- Joan Ockman, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, US.
- Anna Rosellini, University of Bologna, IT.
- Michel Richard, Director Fondation Le Corbusier, Paris
Preview of conference activities
- Keynotes, paper presentations and panel discussions.
- Visit to Asger Jorn’s Mural at Statsgymnasium Aarhus.
- Trip to the exhibition “Le Corbusier – What moves us…?”, followed by dinner at Museum Jorn, Silkeborg.
- Screening of Heinz Emigholz’ movie on Asger Jorn´s Aarhus Mural and Le Corbusier´s Villa Savoye, especially commissioned for the exhibition.
- Abstracts: 500 words
- Papers: 3000 words
- Conference presentation: 20 min.
- Contribution to panel discussion: tbd
Your abstract must give an overview of a proposed 20 minute paper presentation. Abstracts will undergo a review process. Submissions should be saved in Word or PDF format and together with a short CV, max. 300 wds, be submitted via the conference email address: Lecorbu[at]aarch.dk
- Any queries about the format of submissions etc. can be addressed to Ruth Baumeister and HanneFoged Gjelstrup via the conference email address.