- Conference Chair: Sandy Isenstadt, SAH 1st Vice President-Elect, University of Delaware
- Local Chair: Marina Moskowitz, University of Glasgow
The Society of Architectural Historians will host its 70th Annual International Conference in Glasgow, Scotland, from June 7–11, 2017. Meeting in Glasgow reflects the increasingly international focus of the Society and its conference, and we hope SAH members from all over the world will join us in Scotland's largest city, world-renowned for its outstanding architectural heritage. This is the first time that SAH has met outside North America since 1973, when it planned a joint meeting in Cambridge with the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain.
At its 2017 Annual International Conference in Glasgow, Scotland, SAH will offer a total of 36 paper sessions. The Society invites its members, including graduate students and independent scholars, representatives of SAH chapters, and partner organizations, to chair a session at the conference. As SAH membership is required to chair or present research at the Annual International Conference, non-members who wish to chair a session will be required to join SAH at the time of submitting a session proposal.
Since the principal purpose of the Annual International Conference is to inform the conference attendees of the general state of research in architectural history and related disciplines, session proposals covering every period in the history of architecture and all aspects of the built environment, including landscape and urban history, are encouraged.
Sessions may be theoretical, methodological, thematic, interdisciplinary, pedagogical, revisionist or documentary in premise and have broadly conceived or more narrowly focused subjects. Sessions that embrace cross-cultural, transnational and/or non-Western topics are particularly welcome. In every case, the subject should be clearly defined in critical and historiographical terms and should be substantiated by a distinct body of established or emerging scholarship.
Proposals will be selected on the basis of merit and the need to create a well-balanced program. Topics exploring the architecture of Glasgow and the country of Scotland are encouraged. As this is the sesquicentennial of Frank Lloyd Wright’s birth, we invite sessions that consider design innovators such as Wright or Charles Rennie Mackintosh at the turn of the twentieth century.
Since late submissions cannot be considered, it is recommended that proposals be submitted well before the deadline. The conference chair is not responsible for last-minute submissions that fail posting in the online portal or are sent in error via email.
Please note that the conference dates have changed from previous years; the 2017 conference will be held June 7–11.
Session proposals are to be submitted online by 5:00 pm CST, January 16, 2016. The portal will close automatically at this time. Proposals will be reviewed by Sandy Isenstadt, SAH 1st vice president-elect and chair of the SAH 2017 Annual International Conference.
Prospective session chairs must include the following in their proposal:
- A session title not longer than 65 characters, including spaces and punctuation
- Summary of the subject and the premise in no more than 500 words
- Name, professional affiliation (if applicable), address, telephone, and email address
- (Please ensure that the information you are providing matches, if applicable, an existing SAH profile/membership account to avoid misdirecting communications. If it does not match what SAH has on file, please update your existing member profile to match your current information.)
- A current CV (2 pages maximum)
SAH membership is required to submit. Join or renew your membership1.
Proposals must be submitted through the online portal to be considered2.
Authors (maximum of 2) of accepted proposals will be asked to draft a more concise call for papers for their session (no more than 300 words). This will be posted and communicated on April 1, 2016, and published in the April 2016 issue of the SAH Newsletter. For examples, see the 2016 Call for Papers3.
Each session chair is expected to fund his or her own travel and related expenses to participate in the conference. A copy of the Session Chair Guidelines that includes deadlines and step-by-step processes will be distributed to selected session chairs. Session chairs are required to pre-register for the conference in August 2016.
For more information, please contact Conference Chair Sandy Isenstadt (sandy.isenstadt[at]gmail.com) or SAH Director of Programs Kathy Sturm (312.543.7243 or ksturm[at]sah.or)
- 1. http://www.sah.org/membership/individual-and-joint-membership
- 2. https://www.sah.org/login?ReturnURL=/RedirectToPortal.aspx?destinationURL=https://sah.ps.membersuite.com/competitions/ViewCompetition.aspx?contextID=aacff7b1-00aa-cdc4-ca79-0b3a639ad84d
- 3. (session descriptions begin on page 3) http://www.sah.org/docs/default-source/conference/sah-2016-call-for-papers-(includes-sessions)3f8a34dbac8564e5abfcff0000eafba5.pdf?sfvrsn=18