In September 2018 the RCA conference – Research Culture in Architecture – International Conference on Cross-Disciplinary Collaboration had been organized the first time at fatuk – Faculty of Architecture, TUK Kaiserslauternwith great success. The aim of the conference was to stimulate a research culture in architecture, a dialogue across the various fields and disciplines which are relevant for architectural research, in order to discuss the different perspectives on architecture as a whole.
One of the results had been that especially the digital tools lead to digital design thinking in architecture, where mathematics receives an active part of the design development. Mathematics serves as a mediator between the disciplines and as a central element in the integration of external knowledge into the architectural design process. Architecture is today permeated by computerized methods on different levels from designing, modeling, visualization to fabrication.
We invite researchers as well as practising architects, mathematicians, ... to participate in this conference. You are welcome to submit abstracts for presentations and posters, which will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee. We are interested to get a wide range of topics, which emphasize the relationships between architecture and mathematics.
The following categories of research are intended to facilitate the review work of the Scientific Committee. Please indicate the category that you believe best describes your research:
- Design theory: mathematics as a design tool;
- Design analysis: mathematics used to analyse an existing monument or site;
- Geometry: Applications of geometry (descriptive, projective, fractal, etc.) to architecture;
- Topology: Applications of topology to architecture;
- Rule-based Design: Shape grammars; parametric design;
- Representation of architecture: perspective; modelling;
- Structures: architectural engineering application; statics related to form;
- Computer applications: morphogenesis, digital fabrication, virtual reality;
- Didactics: methods, approaches and projects in the classroom, at all levels of education;
- Other ___ (please provide 2 keywords).