International on-line scientific peer reviewed journal MDCCC 1800, , No. 6
The international online peer reviewed journal MDCCC1800 wishes to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Exposition universelle held in Paris in 1867 with an issue dedicated to the phenomenon of the international exhibitions set up during the 19th century.?We welcome original, unpublished articles offering indepth analysis of the developments, significance and legacy of this phenomenon starting from the Universal Exhibition of London (1851).
Contributors are free to propose any topic related to the general theme, such as the study of single national participations, the impact of the events on public opinion, the display architectures, the diffusion of decorative arts and photography etc.
A list of suggested topics, by no means exhaustive, includes:
- The national participation to the events (committees, single artists, works of art)
- The art market: private collectors and museum acquisitions?
- The divulgation of the arts: publicity, magazines, exhibitions catalogues?
- The social and pedagogical role of international exhibitions?
- Architecture, outfitting, national pavilions?
- The use of decorative arts and photography at the events?
- Colonialism and the influence and reception of nonEuropean cultures
- Literature and the arts: the narration of the exhibitions?
- Correspondence (relationships among artists, architects, art critics etc)?
The role played by the Antiquities at the exhibitions (as models for inspiring artists; means for showing prestige; physical emblems for the building of identity; political propaganda etc)
Papers in Italian, English, French, Spanish and German are welcome.
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION | Please submit an abstract concerning the topic you propose with a provisional title and a short autobiography. The abstract should not exceed 3,000 characters (spaces included). Files should be submitted by 12 October 2016. The authors of selected abstracts will receive a reply within two weeks (by 26 October 2016).
The editorial rules concerning the text and any images the author might wish to include are available (in Italian, English and Spanish) at the following link:http://edizionicafoscari.unive.it/it/edizioni/normeredazionali/
We suggest that articles should be of a length between 20,000 and 40,000 characters. All articles will undergo a double peer review process prior to publication.
Articles should be uploaded on the MDCCC1800 platform before 30 December 2016.
To obtain the credentials which will allow authors to register to the platform, please send an email to the editorial board at the following address: [email protected]?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any queries you might have regarding the application or any further stage of the process.