(A Government of India Enterprise)
Pragati Bhawan, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi-110001
Phone No. : +91-11-23371829No. ITPO/EMD/IECC/Misc/2016
August 1, 2016Prof Dr Martino Stierli
Philip Johnson Chief Curator of Architecture and Design
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019
E-mail: martino stierli at moma erg
Subject: Demolition of Exhibition Complex at Pragati Ma1dan, Hall of Nations, New Delhi1
This bears the reference of your mail dated 26 2.2016 to the office of Prime Minister about the subject cited above. The following comments with respect to your appeal to the Prime Minister for the preservation of Hall of Nations may be noted:
- ITPO is in the process establishing a world class iconic Integrated Exhibition-cum-Convention Complex (IECC) (sic!) at Pragatl Maidan. New Delhi. The proposed infrastructure is likely to fill gaps in requirements for MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, Exhibitions) sector in the National Capital Region of India.
- In India, Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and at world level UNESCO provides the heritage tag (sic!) to any building or site. As per Delhi Building Byelaws, list of heritage sites including heritage buildings is prepared by the Commissioner, MCD/Vice Chairman, DDA/Chairman, NDMC on the advice of the Heritage Conservation Committee (HCC). Neither Hall of Nations nor Nehru Pavilion in the premises of Pragati Maidan are declared Heritage structures by ASI or any other Government Body/Organisation
- The exhibition venues in and around Delhi/NCR are modern structures, providing hi-tech facilities as per modern day requirements. ITPO is facing stiff competition to sustain its activities on which over 900 employees' livelihood depends. Modernisation is the need of the hour to stand up against the competition. Accordingly, ITPO has undertaken the project of redevelopment of Pragati Maidan which necessitates adoption of a comprehensive and integrated approach for setting up of a world class State-of-the-art Exhibition and Convention Centre, involving demolition of various old structures in Pragati Maidan including the Hall of Nations and Nehru Pavilion (the artefacts are being taken care of).
- The proposal for undertaking redevelopment of Pragati Maidan is at an advanced stage of approvals and being pursued as a project of national importance. This project involves construction of Convention Centre and exhibition halls with modern iconic architecture and aims to add significantly to the profile of the capital city of Delhi. We look forward to your kind support for the same.
This issues with the approval of CMD. ITPO.Thanking you, Yours Sincerely[signed]
(J. Guna Sekaran)Copy to: Shri A K Sinha, Under Secretary.
Trade Promotion Section, Department of Commerce.
Udyog Bhawan, New Delhi.[signed]
(J. Guna Sekaran)
- 1. Reference: E-mail dated 26.2.2016 received attached with PMO ID No.130/31/C/2/2015-ES | dated 1.3.2016