KOCHI:  The Koothattukulam municipality has accorded sanction to two separate projects by the Central and state governments to build  apartment complex for the homeless/landless in the municipal corporation.

Under the state government’s ‘Life Project’, 24 families would receive apartments in the four-storey apartment complex being built at Venkulam, municipal chairman Prince Paul John said in a statement here on Monday.

The state government’s ‘One project in one district’ will witness Koothattukulam getting the first preference to build the flat-complex for the homeless in Ernakulam district.

The state government has entrusted builders’ association Credai with the designing and construction activities. While the Koothattukulam municipality will share 20 per cent of the construction cost, the remaining 80 per cent will be borne by the state government. 

“The municipality has informed the state government that the works on the project will begin before the LDF government’s first anniversary on May 20,” said Prince Paul John.

Similarly, the state government has proposed Koothattukulam municipality’s name for implementing the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana - Housing for All in Kerala.