XI. International Conference on Theory and History of Architecture will be held at Nippon Meeting Halls in Istanbul. The conference is coordinated by DAKAM (Eastern Mediterranean Academic Research Center) and will be organized by BILSAS (Science, Art, Sport Productions).
All abstracts are going to be selected according to double blind reviews and accepted papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings E-Book with an ISBN number that will be given to you in a DVD box during conference registration.
We invite you to join us at the event in Istanbul and would like to emphasize that proposals from different parts of the world are welcomed.
For the publication opportunities, registration conditions and presentation instructions, please visit the REGISTRATION INFO page. For accommodation opportunities and city tours, please read the ACCOMMODATION & TOURS page1.
The first of the theory of architecture conference series ARCHTHEO has been held since 2011 at Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University focusing on the possibility of the theory without the backing of the practice or built environment. The title was, therefore, "Theory for the Sake of the Theory" in an emphatic fashion. In 2012, the discussion centered on the Living and space, the main has been chosen as "House&Home' in particular. ARCHTHEO '13 focused on the two leading roles in architecture, the architect and the so-called 'user' and 'Creativity, Autonomy and Function' has proved to be fruitful discussion theme. In 2014, 'Architecture and Text' has been discussed. Last year, 'Architecture and Criticism' was the main theme. The conferences, which has the focus on history rather than theory has started even earlier, in 2010. Architecture and Media, Architecture and Art, Interactions in the History, Architecture and Politics have the main themes of the events.
TRACK 01: ARCHITECTURE AND CRITICISM
- Criticism and History of Architecture
- Architectural Criticism, Critical Theory and ‘Critical Architecture’
- Essential Texts on Architectural Theory
- Architect as Author: Texts by the architects
Commenting on Space
- Multidisciplinary Studies on architecture
- A structural relationship between architecture and text
- Traveling, dairies and urban space
- Philosophy and architecture
Book and architecture
- History of architectural publishing
- Book and architecture: Architectural Writing
- Case studies on terminology and points of view
- Definition and concepts by architectural movements or periods
TRACK 02: ARCHITECTURE AND CRITICAL APPROACHES
- Design as a Critical Tool
- Architectural History as Critical Practice
- Critical Theory and Space
- Ideology and Architecture
- Architecture and Capitalism
- Reformism and Radicalism
- Architecture and political art
- Controversies, counterparts and confrontations in architecture
- (This track is connected to the Critical Approaches Research Direction of DAKAM)
TRACK 03:EVERYDAY LIFE AND SPACE
- Everyday life, ideology and culture
- Phenomenology and architecture
- Anthropology, locality and 'low' architecture
- Body, movement and space
- Perception, feeling and space
- Metaphors, symbols and people
- Lives of Buildings
- Public and private life
- Objects and interiors
- The problem of scale in architecture
- Buildings, urban life and environment
- (This track is connected to the Everyday Life Research Direction of DAKAM)
All of the presented papers will be published in the proceedings e-book (with an ISBN number), which will be given to you in a DVD box and will be sent to be reviewed in the "Thomson & Reuters WOS' Conference Proceedings Citation Index-CPCI".
Moreover, selected papers will be published in DAKAM's International Journal of Architecture and Urban Studies2