CITYMAKERS China-Germany is a program initiated by Robert Bosch Stiftung and the Shanghai and Berlin based agency CONSTELLATIONS International in 2016. The mission: To tap the potential of global learningby building a Sino-German network of city makers who are pioneering for novel models for livable cities. The ambition: Moving from dialogue to action: For six months (from September 2016 till February 2018), three teams from Beijing, Wuhan, Shanghai and Berlin consisting of academics and practitioners alike worked on three themes: "The Future of Living", "Cultural Memory: Wuhan Narrative" and "Urban Agriculture".
The questions of inquiry: How could a novel resident-centered building-type in China based on a collective space look like? How could innovative German co-housing models inspire architectural practice in China? What is the relevance of cultural heritage for a city’s identity? Concretely, with the example of Wuhan, the city where in 1895 the first German Concession in China was established: What are the “cultural narratives” that are still embedded in the built environment? How could a productive Sino-German debate on culture and identity in urban space contribute today? How can scalable solutions for urban farming look like and how can knowledge exchange between China and Germany contribute?
ANCB was pleased to host the final event of this inquiry process in search for city innovations between China and Germany and discuss the results with the ANCB network of partners, clients and friends.
- Miriam Mlecek, Programme Manager, ANCB The Aedes Metropolitan Laboratory, Berlin
- Dr. Clemens Spiess, Eve Nagel, International Relations America and Asia, Robert Bosch Stiftung
Future of Living-team:
- Dr. Iris Belle, Assistant Professor, Tongji University, College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Shanghai
- Binke Lenhardt, Architect, Co-Founder Crossboundaries, Beijing
- Prof. Erhard An-He Kinzelbach, Architect, Dipl.-Ing. MSc AAD, Professor at Bochum University of Applied Science & Founder KNOWSPACE Berlin
- Dr. PAN Tao, Founder of ISEE Green Think-Tank and Founder & Owner of Ecoland Club Farm Shanghai
- WU Yi Meng, Designer, Founder, Studio Wu 無 (Berlin), Artistic Director, CITYMAKERS China–Germany
- Cecilia Antoni, Cultural Manager, Filmmaker, Author, Legumes Enthusiast
- GONG Wenye, Landscape Architect, Urbanist
- Dr. Eduard Kögel, Urban Planner, Architecture Historian, Publicist and Curator
- YANG Fan, Founder, CECP Wuhan (China Endangered Culture Protectors & Wuhan Heritage Walks)
Katja Hellkötter, Founder CONSTELLATIONS International, Program Lead CITYMAKERS