In western architectural history, dwelling is the most important building type as the purpose of architecture returns from divinity to human needs. At the same time, dwelling is the spatial typology that one occupies for the longest time on a daily basis. However, due to the changes in our living environment, dwelling - our home, that comprises of our emotions – is gradually turning into a merchandize with a price tag. We would like to reexamine the essence of home as well as the relationship between tectonic and environment through the concept of building a new home for our society, and thereby recovering and reflection on the most fundamental human needs for dwellings and the natural world.
Tree – Grows from the ground, a characterization of life and convergence in the nature.
House – Constructed by Material, a place to live and fulfill our dreams and ideas.
But in our environment, there are few chances for us to truly experience a space constructed with natural elements. Inspired from the concept of Yuxian section social residence – First a community, then a park, last a city.
Combining space and structure with trees is not only an achievement of construction, but also a way to link nature and architecture together with design.
Starting from this concept, we are expecting young talents to evaluate and think over issues such as how can we bring diversity of the activities held in the tree house and the neighborhood together? How can difference be provided with variety? What is the possibility of the relationship between material and space in this case? We are seeking for an activity space linked with the region and let the residents, neighborhood and citizens in Taichung City have a wonderful spatial experience.
Yuxian section, Taiping district, Taichung City, Taiwan (south end of Yucai Road, Taiping district).
Yuxian section is near a crossroad formed by two main streets, the site is also planned for the Taiping District Yuxian section social residence (Second phase). This social residence project hopes to enhance the communication between people and people, then to form the community into a “Micro City” through the open spaces and multi-functional rooms.
The goal of the social residence projects in Taichung City is to create a “comfort living city”. The apartments will be rent out temporary to young talents, students, labor and disadvantaged social groups with a short term contract of 3 years. In this period, the residents should improve their skills and then be able to find a suitable residence of their own later.
The site is located separately at the north-east and south-west plaza of the Taiping District Yuxian section social residence (Second phase). Therefore, the overall design should continue the intention of the regional planning. The major guiding points are comfort, interaction, sustainability, circular economy, and energy saving. Since the first place design will be realized, please take the budget of 1 million NTD into consideration.
1. Primary Building - Ateliers for young artists, where they can create, have a rest and show their works.
2. Spatial Form - The proposal should make a new interpretation of the combination of living style and the growth form of trees. Please considerate the communication between the young artists and residents.
3. Low-carbon - Considerations must be given to low-carbon approach within the life cycle of the tree house.
4. Bottom Overhead - The tree house should be lifted at least 2.5 m above the ground.
Please download and print registration form from the website of the association. Please seal the complete form in an envelope and send it along with the deliverables.
Address - 14F-1, No. 218, Sec. 1, Wen Hsin Rd., Taichung, Taiwan (Please mark：Tree House Design Competition)
Telephone - +886-4-2475-0998 #34
Website - www.taisquare-art.org.tw
Deliverables（in either Chinese or English
1. Written description of design concept.
2. Drawings of plan, elevation, perspective, etc. at 1:100 scale.
3. Drawings of programmatic distribution at 1:200 scale.
4. Two A1 boards (841mm x 594mm) mounted on 5mm Foam Core (Shipment from oversee participants will be mounted by the organizer). Please include a sealed label with information of name of school and of participants at the lower right corner on the back of the board.
5. One CD with PDFs of the two boards at resolution no less than 300 dpi.
6. In addition to requirements 1-5, selected participants for Stage Two should also submit
6-1. Considerations for construction budget.
6-2. One physical model (no larger than 600mm x 350mm x 200mm) , at 1/50 scale.
6-3. Two A4 color printouts as a summary of design concept (same content as on the A1 boards).
6-4. Please include any animation or multimedia/digital presentation files in a CD or DVD. The files should be saved as either .wmv or .mov. Each file should not exceed the size of 500mb nor with the length over 3 minutes.
1. Participants, not limited in Taiwan, must be undergraduate or graduate students majoring in Architecture, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design, and other related fields of study with degree expected date no later than January 31th, 2018.
2. The eligibilities of the participant must be enrolled in an accredited university or college as a full-time student, and actively taking classes. Students of “college/program designed for working professionals”, “School of Extension Education”, “Community Learning Center”, Tutoring/Educational Center", "Test Preparation Center" and “School of Professional Education & Continuing Studies” are not eligible to participate in this competition.
3. Please only register as individual or group of two participants. Multiple submissions or registration under others’ names would be voided.
4. Each of the 11group of student participants of Stage Two should jointly submit his/her proposal in collaboration with an advisor. The Advisor will be awarded a certificate by the Taichung City Government.
COMPETITION TIMETABLE (A TWO-STAGE COMPETITION)
- Stage 1 material submission Deadline - 2018/08/13 5:00 pm (Taipei GMT+08:00) Validated by postmark
- Stage 1 Review & Evaluation / Shortlist Announcement - 2018/08/17
- Stage 2 material submission Deadline - 2018/09/10 5:00 pm (Taipei GMT+08:00) Validated by postmark
- Stage 2 Review & Evaluation / Winner Announcement - 2018/09/15
Award Ceremony - 2018/09/16 10 : 00 am - 11 : 00 am
Exhibition - 2018/09/16 - 2018/09/25
- First Place (1) - NT$60,000 + Certificate
- Second Place (1) - NT$30,000 + Certificate
- Third Place (1) - NT$20,000 + Certificate
- Honorable mention (3) - NT$ 5,000 + Certificate
- Selected Entry (5) - NT$ 2,000 + Certificate
Advisor - Taichung City Government
Organizers - Taichung City Government Housing Development Department, Tai Square Arts and Aesthetics Association, Taiwan Tai Architect & Associates