New York's Central Park is devastated in an eco-terrorist attack carried out to protest the loss of the world’s forests. How would you redesign the world's most iconic work of landscape architecture?
LA+ ICONOCLAST challenges creative thinkers to reimagine Central Park inviting from landscape architects, architects, planners, artists, and designers. No professional qualifications are required to enter.
Five winners will share US $20,000 and feature publication in a special issue of LA+ Journal entitled LA+ ICONOCLAST. Ten honorable mentions receive a certificate and publication.
The LA+ ICONOCLAST jury are:
- Lola Sheppard - architect and co-founder, Lateral Office
- Geoff Manaugh - author, BLDGBLOG and “A Burglar’s Guide to the City”
- Jenny Osuldsen - landscape architect and partner, Snøhetta
- Charles Waldheim - Director of the Office for Urbanization, Harvard GSD
- Beatrice Galilee - Curator of Architecture + Design, Metropolitan Museum Art
- Richard Weller - Chair of Landscape Architecture, PennDesign + Creative Director, LA+.
Jury Chair Richard Weller said, “LA+ ICONOCLAST gives designers the chance to take on the greatest commission anyone could ever hope for. By taking on such an iconic site as Central Park, you get to tackle big questions about how we represent and manifest ideals of public health, democracy, and nature. This is good fake news!”