Shanghai Jiao Tong University, founded in 1896, is one of China’s two oldest universities and the most renowned. In more than one hundred years and across three centuries, today’s Shanghai Jiao Tong University is a comprehensive, research-intensive and global university. It belongs to the C-9 elite university group in China with an unrivaled international reputation. Indeed, the university is well underway to become a first-class world university.
Design education in the built environment at Shanghai Jiao Tong University can be traced back to the early twentieth century. In December 2017, the University grouped the design related disciplines scattered in different schools, and amalgamated three departments, Architecture, Design and Landscape Architecture, to establish the new School of Design. The new discipline cluster, incorporating the above 3 disciplines and named “innovative design”, has been identified by the university as one of the key 17 “double first class” discipline clusters which will receive significant future support and investment from the university. In the QS subject ranking, “Architecture and the Built Environment” at Shanghai Jiao Tong in recent years has been ranked in the top group in both China and globally, whilst “Art and Design” in 2015 and 2016 made the top 50 in the world.
Facing this momentous time, we are seeking suitably qualified candidates from around the world to take part in this exciting venture. Young scholars are invited to join us at the Forum to share their research, concerning either cutting edge theories or knowledge transfer in the field of design. In addition to scholarly exchange, an important agenda of this Forum is to encourage aspiring young scholars to join Shanghai Jiao Tong School of Design.
2. FORUM DATES & ACADEMIC THEMES
The forum will be held from 26th through to 28th December 2018. Academic themes are grouped under 3 disciplines in the School, namely Design, Architecture, and Landscape Architecture. The principal academic themes (though not exclusive) are:
- High-end equipment and intelligent design;
- Information and interaction design
- Sustainable architecture— history, theory and technology;
- City/Rural planning and built heritage conservation
- Sustainable landscape— history, theory, planning and ecological restoration;
- Landscape planting resources and application
3. SELECTION CRITERIA
- Young scholar age definition: 40 or younger.
- Ph.D, or Ph.D candidate close to completion, from a university of international standing.
- Recognized academic accomplishments in the above fields or allied disciplines.
4. HOW TO APPLY
- Application: Send full academic CV to firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> by 23rd November, 2018.
- Acceptance and Invitation: Official Invitations for accepted participants will be issued by the Forum Committee by 28th November 2018 via email. Please check your inbox in due time.
- RSVP: RSVP from accepted participants must reach firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> by 2nd December 2018.
- 27th December Morning: Opening Ceremony & Keynote Lectures
- 27th December Afternoon-28th December Morning: Young Scholars Academic Sessions
- 28th December Morning: Tour & Social Activities
6. FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
At the complete discretion of the Forum Committee, two types of financial assistance will be provided to scholars by invitation and participating scholars: Architecture 10-15 scholars, Design 10-15 scholars AND Landscape Architecture 10-15 scholars