Design concepts and solutions are constantly challenged, interrupted or complemented by chance and the unexpected. Ideas and visuals may shift considerably due to the occurrence of the unexpected. However, some architects attempt to ignore, deny or undermine chance as they approach architecture in a linear way—stretching between concept problems and solutions. Architects have divergent opinions and approaches between fixation and openness to chance.
This book is theoretical and projects-based inquiry on the role of chance in design process.
We inquire the tools, techniques and modes of thinking that architects and designers apply, adapt to work with chance and uncertainty more creatively. The book explores the use of chance (uncertainty, indeterminacy and ambiguity) as generative factors participating in the design process (observation, investigation, idea generation, communication and production).
Chance is being increasingly realized as a discourse of generating new insights and ideas in design process. With it comes uncertainty and ambiguity. This book project looks into chance and design process proposing to ask the following questions:
- How is chance associated with design process and how does it affect determinacy and decision-making?
- What alternative ways to think about uncertainty in design and how can it incorporate with creative thinking?
- How do different design mediums interact with chance and uncertainty?
- How could chance and uncertainity be considered as generative tools and design mediums?
- How/where could chance be associated with creative design thinking?
In the main chapters, the discussion introduces chance as an encounter that with experimenting can adopt new modes of design making and solution. Through a theoretical discussion established based on multi-disciplinary literature review, the text builds a framework for new approaches in understanding chance in the design process. Discussing chance according to medium-specificity; within mediums of sketching, digital design and parametric design, the study expands the field of chance in design and in architecture particularly and seeks a better understanding of this phenomenon.
An experimental approach is established parallel to the theoretical study which looks at chance in instances of design through experimental projects including projects by artists and architects whom work is highly integrated with the matter of inquiry.
We welcome creative contribution in any of the following themes or the areas related to them:
- Uncertainty in design process
- Medium specificity and indeterminacy in the creative process
- Ambiguity of design thinking
- Experimental approach and chance in design
- Open-ended design/ architecture
- Unpredictability in design process
- Chaos theory and indeterminacy in design
- Instance of chance in different stages of design
- The concept of the glitch
Key dates: Full manuscripts and submissions are due by October 14, 2019. Feedback will be emailed within 3 weeks of submission deadline.
- Chapter length : The contribution can be made in the form of short chapters (3000- 5000 words), reflective essays (1000 words), reviews of relevant projects, interviews or dialogues with artists or architects in the field.
- Please title your email: Chapter PROPOSAL: Chance in Creative Design