The 8th biennial NORDES conference poses the question, “Who cares?”, exploring related questions, issues and propositions concerning responsibilities, relationships, ways of doing and directing design today.
This question is a provocation for design research. What do, or should, we care about in design and design research today? In the 2019 NORDES conference, we draw inspiration from notions of care as a lens through which to reflect upon and critique as well as potentially to refocus and redirect design and design research.
Possible themes include but are not limited to:
- The who in care? Care, relations, empathy and what comes next
- Care (in)action? Encounters, systems and institutions of care, welfare, healthcare
- How to care? Care and care-ful materials, methods and processes in design and design research
- Care, where? Design and peripheries, identities, minorities and commonalities
- Care ethos and ethics? Purposes, philosophies and responsibilities in/of design
The submission categories include:
- Full papers
- Exploratory papers (short)
- Doctoral Consortium