The German Historical Institute and the German Archaeological Institute in Rome in cooperation with the Unione internazionale degli istituti di Archeologia, Storia e Storia dell’Arte in Roma are inviting interested scholars to attend the international conference on „Model Rome – International Capital Cities of Science and Arts in the 20th Century“.
The conference will take place in Rome from 22 till 24 October 2019.
The conference aims to analyze centers of international Research within the sciences and humanities and cultural exchanges connected with the fundamental questions of the history and science, beyond the traditional histories of institutes.
To illustrate the range of possible questions and contributions, but not to limit them, the following key questions provide some guidance:
- the attractiveness of metropolises as places of international culture and research institutions: expectations, resources, programs
- the dynamics of internationalization of science and humanities between national interests and international exchange: networks and transfer, competition and conflicts
- the politicization of research and cultural activities abroad against the backdrop of major political and societal upheavals
We welcome proposals from (young) researchers of all scientific disciplines who are working on the outlined topics above. Interested scholars are invited to prepare theoretical contributions as well as empirical research findings from the fields of history of science, history of institutions and cultural history.
Abstracts of up to 300 words along with a short CV (up to 100 words) should be sent in until 28 February 2019 to [email protected]
A scientific committee will choose from among the applications. The program of the conference will be published in April 2019 consisting of the approved contributions. The talks should not exceed the duration of 20 minutes. The working languages of the symposium will be Italian and English. A simultaneous translation for the two working languages will be provided.
Travel and accommodation costs will be paid by the organizers.
In Cooperation with:
- Max Weber Stiftung – Deutsche Geisteswissenschaftliche Institute im Ausland
- Auswärtiges Amt
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung