By the initiative of the Boghossian Foundation, urbanlab announces an open international architectural competition “Reviving NPAK” for all interested individuals and teams.
The purpose of the present architectural competition is to find the best design solutions for the existing building of NPAK located at 1/3 Buzand Street of Yerevan (Armenia), which needs to reflect the aspects of the competition package through contemporary architectural language that is conscious of social and environmental responsibility, the importance for radical technical experimentation and the need to sustain a dialogue with the Centre’s legacy and its traditions.
Serving as a meeting point between the art community, the youth, general public, the creative and business sector, the revived Centre should become a facilitator between innovative artistic thinking, mass culture and industry.
The current redevelopment project is a multi-stage plan for future growth, revivification and expansion of NPAK. It presents an opportunity to create the largest temporary exhibition space in Armenia, which will simultaneously serve as one of the key cultural, entertainment and educational hubs in Yerevan.
The total award budget is 6’000’000 AMD (approx. 12’000 USD), which will be distributed between the below mentioned award categories.
1st: 2’500’000 AMD (approx. 5’000 USD)
2nd: 1’500’000 AMD (approx. 3’000 USD)
3rd: 1’000’000 AMD (approx. 2’000 USD)
Jury’s mention(s): 1’000’000 AMD (approx. 2’000 USD)
The competition Jury consists of nine professionals, the majority being architects from Armenia and abroad. London-based architect Mr. Philip Gumuchdjian will chair over the Jury.
The Jury members are:
1. Philip Gumuchdjian, Architect, Gumuchdjian Architects (UK)
2. Albert Boghossian, Boghossian Foundation Co-Chairman (Switzerland)
3. Arthur Meschyan, Architect, Chief Architect of Yerevan (Armenia)
4. Eduard Balassanian, Architect, NPAK Co-Founder (Armenia, USA)
5. Misak Khostikyan, Architect, Art Historian (Armenia)
6. Nadim Karam, Architect, Artist (Lebanon)
7. Sarhat Petrosyan, Architect, Planner (Armenia)
8. Verena von Beckerath, Architect, Chair for Design and Housing at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar (Germany)
9. Vigen Galstyan, Curator, Art Historian (Armenia, Australia)
There is no application fee for participation.
The submission deadline is 25 June 2019, while winners will be announced on 3 July 2019.
For participation and request for competition package please send an email to [email protected] mentioning “Competition Package” in the subject line, following which you will receive the link needed for participation.