Session at Universities Art Association of Canada/L’Association d’art des universités du Canada
In her recent book Curatorial Activism, Maura Reilly calls for cultural workers to commit themselves to “leveling hierarchies, challenging assumptions, countering erasure, promoting the margins over the center, the minority over the majority, inspiring intelligent debate, disseminating new knowledge, and encouraging strategies of resistance.” Taking up Reilly’s call, as well as drawing on the 2018 special theme issue of RACAR, “What is Critical Curating,” edited by Marie Fraser and Alice Ming Wai Jim, this session asks participants to define and/or describe their curatorial activism. What curatorial calls for change can be/have been used to challenge and/or change institutionalized hierarchical structures? What accomplishments have been realized by those working in or independently from art galleries and museums? How can artists, curators, researchers, and educators come together to make change happen? This panel encourages applications from artists, curators, educators, researchers and the like, to consider these issues from a variety of perspectives.
Chair / Présidente: Andrea Terry
Contract Instructor: Lakehead University, email: [email protected]
Please send paper proposals to [email protected] via the submission form found on the UAAC/AAUC website: https://uaac-aauc.com/news/calls-for-papers/uaac-call-for-papers-conference-2019/
Les propositions doivent être acceptées seulement si elles ont été soumises avec le formulaire Appel à communications. / Proposals may be accepted only if they have been submitted using the Call for Papers form.
Submissions must include / Les soumissions doivent inclure :
- the name of the applicant / le nom de l’intervenante
- the applicant’s email address / l’adresse courriel de l’intervenante
- the applicant’s institutional affiliation and rank / l’affiliation institutionnelle et le titre de l’intervenante
- title of proposal / le titre de la communication
- a proposal (300 words maximum) / une proposition de communication (maximum de 300 mots)
- a brief biography (150 words maximum) / une courte biographie (maximum 150 mots)