MoHUA explains a building to be a structure constructed using any type of material(s) and for whatever purpose, be it for residential, commercial, industrial or other. The structures that fall under the definition of a building are as follows:
- Foundations, plinths or pedestals, walls, floors, roofs, chimneys, plumbing/drainage structures, fixed structures, etc.
- Verandahs or atriums, balconies, cornices, projections in the building which extend beyond its exterior walls, etc.
- All the various components that comprise the building or any structure attached to it
- Fences or boundary walls enclosing an area, land or building, signboards or display structures outside the boundary walls or above the structure, etc.
- Tanks constructed for the purpose of storing fluids or other materials such as chemicals, water, effluents and swimming pools, ponds, etc.
- Temporary structures such as tents, shamianas and tarpaulin shelters which are built to serve a particular purpose for a short duration of time have been exempted and are not to be considered buildings
Further, the government has categorized various types of buildings on the basis of different criteria depending on their usage, design and height, safety standards and other features as follows.
Types of buildings:
- Residential Buildings
- Educational Buildings
- Institutional Buildings
- Assembly Buildings
- Business Buildings
- Mercantile Buildings
- Industrial Buildings
- Storage Buildings
- Wholesale Establishments
- Mixed Land Use Buildings
- Hazardous Buildings
- Detached Buildings
- Semi-Detached Buildings
- Multi-Storey or High Rise Buildings
- Unsafe Buildings
- Special Buildings
- Multi-Level Car Parking