FS Sistemi Urbani (Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane Group) and COIMA sgr (Italy's leading company in the investment, development and management of real estate assets on behalf of international and domestic institutional investors) have launched the competition “Concorso Farini”, the international bid for the design of the master plan for the urban transformation and regeneration of the Milano Farini and Milano San Cristoforo railway yards.
The master plan must provide convincing and feasible solutions for the transformation and reconversion of spaces, no longer used for railway activities, in Milano Farini and Milano San Cristoforo. A high-profile and competent jury will select the best masterplan, which will then be offered for public debate before the implementation of the project. The deadline for the submission of the applications is the 23rd of November 2018. The tender can be downloaded from the website www.scalimilano.vision.
"Concorso Farini" is part of the Programme Agreement signed by the Municipality of Milan, Lombardy Region, Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane Group (with RFI S.p.a. FS Sistemi urbani S.r.l.) and Savills Investment Management (now COIMA) in 2017, for the requalification of the seven disused railway yards (Farini, Porta Romana, Porta Genova, Greco-Breda, Lambrate, Rogoredo, San Cristoforo), which overall cover an area of 1,250,000 square metres, of which about 200,000 will continue to be used for railway functions. This is the largest urban regeneration plan that will affect Milan in the next 20 years, one of the largest territory restitching and enhancement projects in Italy and in Europe.
To whom is the Competition addressed?
Participation is open to project Groups (the “Groups”) consisting of architects and engineers, who will make use of other professional skills and expertise that may be necessary. The aforementioned persons are invited to take part in inter-disciplinary Groups, especially as regards skills pertaining to, at the very least, urban planning, landscape, rail transport and mobility, the environment and economic feasibility.
What are the Masterplan purposes?
The Masterplan shall contain steering solutions concerning:
- the system of spaces, public and general interest services;
- the connection and accessibility system, the roadway, cycle-pedestrian and public transport system, designed in an integrated way with the overall area of public and buildable spaces, and sustainable environmentally and cost-wise;
- the morphological and general settlement structure;
- the feasibility of each phase, indicating sustainable solutions throughout the entire implementation process and feasibility scenarios.
What is the competition procedure?
The design Competition is comprised of two phases:
- Phase one, in which candidates present themselves expressly, aims to select from among candidates up to 5 design Groups, in accordance with the participation and selection procedures.
- Phase two, in which candidates will remain anonymous , aims to select the winning design from among the Masterplans of the Design Groups taking part in this phase.
The selected participants who deliver the Masterplans will receive a reimbursement of expenses of EUR 25,000.00 inclusive of taxes and charges.
The winner will be asked to adjust and/or amend the Masterplan submitted in light of the outcome of the public debate, proposed by the Competition Organisers, and will receive an additional sum of EUR 50,000.00 inclusive of taxes and charges.
In both phases, the selection and choice take place in the form of a decision by a Selection Committee which will be appointed and made public only after the applications for phase one have been lodged.
For further information visit the website scalimilano.vision