This splendid edifice, which was completed in A.D. 1423, is situated on the south side of the main street, a little outside the Teen Durwáza, and was originally the centre of a vast square, but has been gradually shut in by the erection of houses against its other Mahometan mosques, it faces the east. The plan will be apparent from the annexed woodcut. The northern and southern porches lead into the street, and that to the eastward into an enclosure containing the tomb of Ahmed Shah (Plate 38).
In the centre of the courtyard is a reservoir for the ablutions preparatory to prayer. The building is one of the largest in India, the exterior dimensions being 382 feet by 238, and those of the mosque itself 210 by 95, with a height of 49 feet. Further particulars may be derived from the sub-joined elevation. The material is the usual fine sandstone, with the exception of the pavement, which is of white marble. The style shows further proficiency in combining the Hindoo and Mahometan elements and in the use of the native ornament, but few fragments of Hindoo buildings appear to view, excepting the pillars of the clerestory, and perhaps the southern porch (Plate 14), which some have considered to be part of a temple, and in situ. The minarets fell, along with most of the others throughout the city, in an earthquake in 1818, but from careful drawings of them which are extant in Forbes's ‘Oriental Memoirs,’ and Grindlay's ‘Scenery, Costumes, and Architecture of Western India,’ we learn, that though four-storied, and considerably decorated, they tapered like those of Ahmed Shah's mosque. They and others possessed the peculiarity that when one was shaken the motion was communicated to the other, though no tremor was perceptible in the intervening roof. The interior contains 330 pillars, ranged in magnificent aisles (Plate 18), and supporting, at intervals, domes of converging stones, the interiors and pendents of which are adorned with the most delicate fretwork. The kiblas, or points to which all turn in prayer, are inlaid with coloured marbles, disposed in rich harmony of form and colour (Plate 17). On the threshold of the centre arch an inverted Jain image of black marble is embedded in the pavement, to be ever trampled on by the Faithful. The colonnades of the courtyard (Plate 13) are emblazoned with sentences from the Koran.