Call for Abstracts and Art
Sanders Architects state that «as humans and biological elements, building have a skin. [...] The skin has a responsibility to protect the contents, much like our skin protects us. It also makes a bulging unique, recognisable. [...] Given these complex duties, skin [...] show[s] the “body” of the volumes»1
In this Urban Corporis volume, “The city and the skin”, we ask the authors to read, define and interpret the role of the skin as a facade, as a protection, as a compositional image of urban revelation. Without formal restrictions, without ethical preconceptions: the skin as part of the building designed to mediate the relationship.
The architectural skin, understood as the technological system of delimitation between architectural space and unbuilt environment, can be analyzed as a boundary system between interior and exterior, the most evident expression of the identity of an artifact. In this dual role of border and interface, receptive as active, the skin of an architecture (seen also through art) is charged with a double value: an element of covering and protection and, at the same time, a tool of relationship and interface, in fact, towards the external world.
General instructions for abstract submission
To submit your abstract:
- click the link to google form and fill/upload the mandatory fields. link: https://goo.gl/forms/PMjBXQ2CCAEahCgE3
- Or send the required material to [email protected]
Italians Speakers may send the abstract in italian language. Full papers must be in English.
All inquiries must be sent to [email protected]
1 - Theories (paper)
Papers • abstract max 300 words • max 2 images example as attachment
Full paper will be between 15000 to 20000 characters spaces included
- under the skin of the city - soil, subsoil, thresholds.
- facades. technology and biology.
- “The atmospheric ‘skin’ of the city”.2
*The book is going to be in Black & White/Grey scale
2 - Aesthetic (images)
reportage, artworks, collages, sketches, drawings (min. series of 3 for each author) • abstract max 300 words •
Full paper will be between 10000 to 15000 characters spaces included and up to 9 images
- The skin of the city (artworks).
- Signs, scratches, urban tattoos.
- Metropolitan art
*The book is going to be in Black & White/Grey scale.
- Abstract submission deadline: 15/04/2019
- Acceptance response: 29/04/2019
Full paper/artworks deadline: 15/06/2019
- We will need a signed “copyright and privacy protection release” (given on due time) and a copy of your ID document.
- All Authors published will receive their extract for free. The entire book (print version - printing on demand or e-book) will have a discounted price (print price) for each Author (personal link will be given).
- Full paper must respect the Author’s guidelines that will be given.
- Review of papers and direct communication with Authors: 16/06/2019 - 30/06/2019
- Publication: July 2019
- Mickeal Milocco Borlini, Ph.D, Editor in Chief
- Carlalberto Amadori, M.Sc.
- Lelio di Loreto, Ph.D.
- Scientific Board
- Chiara Giorgetti, Professor, Fine Arts, Brera’s Academy of Fine Arts, Milan
- Alessandra De Cesaris, Professor of Architecture and Urban Planning, Sapienza University of Rome
- Emilia Corradi, Professor of Architecture and Urban Planning, Politecnico di Milano
- Sara Basso, Professor of Architecture and Urban Planning, Università degli studi di Trieste
- Fabrizia Berlingieri, Professor of Architecture and Urban Planning, Politecnico di Milano
- Nicola Vazzoler, Ph.D., Urban studies, Post-Doc Researcher, RomaTre, Rome
- Sara Caramaschi, Ph.D, Urban Studies, Post-Doc Researcher, GSSI, L'Aquila
- Alessia Gurrieri, Ph.D., Architecture, Sapienza University of Rome
- Lorenzo Bagnoli, Ph.D., Architecture, President at I.U.V.A.S.