Mr A K Jain, Commissioner (Planning), DDA
Vikas Minar, IP Estate, N Delhi - 110002
Sub: Note: CMP opportunities and imperatives – Delhi Master Plan provisions for informal sector
Dr Mr Jain,
On 16.06.04 NASVI(SEWA) had arranged a meeting of hawkers’ representatives in Delhi with a view to organizing them to demand implementation of national policy that MoUD made at instance of SEWA. Also present was head of MANUSHI, at whose instance PMO had simultaneously announced hawker policy for Delhi in 2001. As you are aware, hawkers and others have been directly pursuing since 2001 the contrary demand for implementing statutory solutions provided by informal sector provisions incorporated in Delhi Master Plan in 1990 and exclusion of Delhi from dilatory policy initiatives / experiments. For your information, hawkers present at the meeting of 16.06.04 are also now more inclined to pursue DMP rather than inferior policy implementation.
I am enclosing herewith a note (2p + 5p annexures) as above and, in its context I request:
- on my own behalf the demands on p.2, especially for stopping DMP violations in name of ‘policy’ in view of Supreme Court remark (judgment of 07.05.04) on initiatives in garb of ‘master plan guidelines’
- the work of trade and commerce / informal sector expert groups for DMP revision be opened to scrutiny in view of ‘involvement’ of some of the members in DMP violating policy initiatives.
- inclusion of enclosed note in my s.11A response of 13.05.04 to metro-property development proposal in view of DMRC refusal to ensure mandatory informal sector provisions despite repeated requests.
- most urgently, for DDA to express its view on DMP provisions so that UPA CMP commitments for informal sector do not lead to wasteful budget allocations in inertial pursuit of inferior policy.
I hope you will comment on the enclosed note.
Gita Dewan Verma / Planner
cc: for information and with request for comment, in cont. of engagements (annex-2 in encl. note)
- DDA Vice Chairman
- Delhi Police Commissioner / Jt Commissioner (Traffic)
- MCD Commissioner
- NDMC Chairperson
- DUAC Chairman
- DMRC Managing Director
- NCRPB Chairman
- HUDCO CMD
- HSMI Executive Director
- SPA Director
- ITPI (DRC) President
- CoA President
- Secretary MoUD
- Secretary MoHRD
- GNCTD Chief Secretary / CMO (Bhagidari)
- CBI JD (AC HQ)
- LG Secretariat
- Planning Commission Adviser (HUD)
- NHRC Chairman
- Standing Parliamentary Committee Lok Sabha Sectt
- CPI-M (Delhi State Committee)